Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sympathies

I first want to express my heartfelt sympathies to Mr. Banks's family and friends, especially Bill Prinzmetal, on the Bill's death.  I know also that there are many other friends, colleagues, and students who are deeply saddened by this sorrowful news.  This is a great loss to all of us. 

Mr. Banks, as I always referred to him when I was his student working on the semantic congruity effect, was a tremendous "major professor" to work under because of his intelligence, curiosity, intensity, and energy.  I have been flooded with fond memories of our days working together and of taking classes from him.  I remembered the different colored socks, pulling bread crusts out of his jacket pocket during class and nibbling on them, sticking pencils in his office ceiling with a quick upward toss.  I also remembered his humor, his gum chewing, and his concern over the food he ate.  Many memories flooded my mind.  In recent years I looked forward to seeing him at Psychonomics.  Indeed, the last time I saw him was at Psychonomics in Boston where I attended his "free won't" presentation.  It was fascinating stuff, as usual. 

I am certain that his loss is felt far and wide.  He was a most interesting man. 

Bill Sturgill

No comments:

Post a Comment