Sunday, April 24, 2011

Greetings from the mountains. Wednesday's post didn't show an option for comments. Maybe I missed it in my techno-bumbling, or maybe you don't want comments on such a critical and personal decision. But where fools rush in, I usually find myself near the front, and so... It seems so fortunate that Bill's mind was clear and sharp on the day you had to ask him his wishes, and Abby and Kris were so brave to ask directly. I doubt many people have such a devoted team in their corner. We can all mark a box on a living will while we're middle-aged and healthy, but attitudes change and much is accommodated later in life. A marked box is so inadequate when making life-and-death decisions concerning a loved one's quality of living at a given moment under individual circumstances.

If the time comes that you want more information from the national kidney organizations on dialysis during hospice (perhaps for future needs), I'll look into it more deeply. I know it is terribly frustrating to hear one thing from Bill's team and another from outside. Clearly, you have to make decisions based on the options that his doctors will allow. And there is no way at this point that Bill could be transported back and forth to a dialysis center every day without putting him in more danger.

Please forgive if you didn't want comments on this. Bravo for staying strong through such hard times.

--Janet

1 comment:

  1. Janet,

    I don't know what happened with my post. Arlene wrote to say that she could not post comments on it either. But I didn't mean to discourage comments. One of the ways we keep up our spirits is by staying connected to each other...

    ReplyDelete