Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Code Blue" scare

Just before 4p, Bill was taken down for a CT scan. His nurse, Jesslyn and I accompanied him to the second floor where the scans are done. Jesslyn had me wait in the hallway. In ten minutes, one technician rushed out, opening the door. He asked if I heard the overhead announcement for "Code Blue". Just then the announcement came on and within seconds doctors, nurses, and other medical staff started arriving, I knew instinctively that "Code Blue" was for Bill, although I didn't know exactly what the code meant, I knew it meant business. I counted at least 7 M.D., several nurses, nurse supervisors, other technicians, and two security officers--altogether 20. The door was open so I could watch what was going on inside. Within five minutes, the most acute crisis was over and a pulmonologist walked over to me. He said that Bill did not stop breathing but that his oxygen intake did get dangerously low. He told me to go inside and encourage and reassure Bill that he is ok. The radiologist looked at his CT scan and chest X ray (taken earlier in the day) and saw something in the back base of his brains but could not determine exactly what it meant. It could be a stroke but it could not be. They also could not be sure if whatever it was, as shown on the scan, could entirely account for his problems. I told him they should compare it to an earlier CT scan taken about six weeks ago. They said another radiologist would offer a second opinion tomorrow morning and when Bill is more stable, do another scan. An internist gave a synapse of what they'd do--transfer him to an ICU, monitor him carefully while doctors figure out what next step to take.

I really appreciated nurse Jesslyn. She was the one who called code. She said it was a judgment call because his oxygen intake was plummeting, but had not reached a flat line. I thanked her profusedly.

I lost my cell phone last night. I don't know where it is. I checked everywhere, my house, my car, the hospital, even Americana at Brand Mall where I had taken Sophie and Olivia for a movie last night. It is still missing. This is the way my stress manifests..

Bill's new room number: 6110. Nurse station: 323 783-9631.

Then had to leave the hospital in a hurry to pick up the kids.

6.30pm. I just checked with Joe, his nurse. Bill's condition remains about the same. Still very lethargic and unresponsive. I told him to call my mother's cell phone or Abbigail if something were to happen.

It is definitely a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment