Monday, January 31, 2011

Coca cola

Bill was awake and alert when I walked into the room this evening. He has been off the ventilator since Saturday and especially today has been breathing on his own very comfortably. I don't know if he recognized me or not, but the first thing he said in response to my "hello" was "Coca cola". He failed swallow test today, which means that he is prohibited from eating or drinking normally for the 10th day. He has been getting fluids and food through nasal tube. I am sure it doesn't taste nearly as good or sweet as Coca cola.

I am so grateful to Abigail who is keeping Bill her dad company. She said the other day offhandedly that she and Bill shared a brain. I think she meant to suggest that she feels very intimately close to him. I can feel her love and affection for her dad.

My kids, Sophie and Olivia get updates on how their dad is doing. They wanted to visit him at the hospital but they are too young to do so. They asked what they were doing to him at the hospital. I told them doctors and nurses were helping him to get better. I told them their dad had a really cool bed that could go up and down and tilt side to side. They got a kick out of that. They sense that adults are worried about their dad. Sophie said she was worried too. I said people were worried because they all cared about him. They made Bill get well cards and sent him paintings they made.

No comments:

Post a Comment