Friday, May 6, 2011

Founding of the Scientific Study of Consciousness

I knew Bill for many years from a distance as a colleague in psychophysics, and more closely as a founder of the Association for Scientific Study of Consciousness, on a lawn at the Pomona campus. Part of Bill's lasting legacy is surely the journal he co-founded, Consciousness and Cognition. When I joined the journal as an associate editor, he guided me through the editorial process with patience and wisdom. When Bill became ill I was honored to get his nod to take his place as editor-in-chief.  Every time I open the Elsevier website for the journal I think of Bill, who started the journal from nothing and made it prominent. Editing becomes an act of homage to Bill and his accomplishments, one that I execute with pleasure.

Following the Bill Banks blog daily for months was a searing experience - it could happen to any of us, regardless of talents, motivations, or potential future contributions. He never lost his optimism or his quirky humor.

regards,

Bruce Bridgeman

Research Professor of Psychology

No comments:

Post a Comment